Davis R. Watson III
Davis’s civil litigation practice focuses on defending individuals and corporations against complex general liability lawsuits and defending healthcare providers against medical professional liability lawsuits. He also devotes part of his practice to advising and defending medical professionals in licensing and disciplinary matters. Prior to joining FAVROS, Davis was a senior attorney in a large regional insurance-retained litigation defense firm based in Florida. He has defended a variety of casualty claims under commercial general liability policies, including premises liability, negligent security, product liability, negligent maintenance, motorist liability, serious bodily injury, and wrongful death.
- General Liability, Catastrophic Loss
- Wrongful Death Litigation
- Medical Professional Liability Defense
- Licensing and Disciplinary Actions
- Civil/Business Litigation
- Final summary judgment for national hotel franchisor in multi-party gunshot injury lawsuit alleging negligent security.
- Set aside default and obtained dismissal for national auto insurer in federal court lawsuit alleging negligent third-party spoliation of evidence.
- Successfully resolved multi-party wrongful death lawsuit for state DOT involving alleged negligent road and overpass construction.
- Dismissal after discovery for franchisee of international restaurant chain in minor child injury lawsuit alleging negligent playground maintenance.
- Dismissal at pleadings stage for local Florida church in premises liability lawsuit involving motor vehicle versus pedestrian.
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., 2015
- Moot Court Board
- Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Hong Kong
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Board
- President, Investment & Finance Law Association
- University of Central Florida, B.A., Legal Studies with Honors, 2012
- Trial Team
- Burnett Honors College
- Litigation & Advocacy Concentration
Admitted to Practice
- State of Washington
- State of Florida
- United States District Court, Western District of Washington
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- Fain Anderson VanDerhoef Rosendahl O’Halloran Spillane, Associate Attorney 2020 – Present
- Vernis & Bowling, St. Petersburg, FL, Senior Attorney 2019 – 2020
- Vernis & Bowling, St. Petersburg, FL, Associate Attorney 2015 – 2019
Publications & Presentations
- Author, “Avoiding the Pitfalls of ‘Postoffer Settlements’ in Calculating the ‘Judgment Obtained’ under Florida’s Offer of Judgment Statute,” Vernis & Bowling Newsletter, December 2019.
- Lead Presenter, “Spoliation of Evidence: Protecting Defenses,” Allstate Corp., Largo, FL, July 2019.
- Co-Presenter, “Combatting Excessive Medical Bills,” Vernis & Bowling Seminars: Atlanta, GA, April 2019 | Tampa, FL, September 2019 | Dallas, TX, December 2019.
Honors & Awards
- Eric Bergsten Award – Best Claimant Memoranda, Honorable Mention | Vis (East) Moot 2014.
- Fali Nariman Award – Best Respondent Memoranda, Honorable Mention | Vis (East) Moot 2014.
- Priscilla A. & Lawrence C. Adams Scholarship, Stetson Law.