James B. Meade
J.B.’s complex civil litigation practice ranges from defending health care professionals in liability lawsuits and licensing disputes to commercial litigation and general liability matters involving catastrophic loss. J.B. has also tried to verdict claims involving product liability, fraud, misrepresentation, breach of contract, and Consumer Protection claims. As the lead trial attorney in more than 50 complex civil lawsuits, he has successfully represented individual and corporate clients at trial, arbitration and administrative hearings across the State of Washington, as well as in other States on a pro hac vice basis.
- Medical Professional Liability Defense
- Licensing and Disciplinary Actions
- Propane Gas Defense
- General Liability, Catastrophic Loss
- Products Liability
- Civil/Business Litigation
- Defense verdict for pathologist and pathology group in a medical malpractice action alleging misdiagnosis of primary peritoneal carcinoma and loss of chance of survival.
- Defense verdict for primary care physician in wrongful death malpractice action alleging prescription and mismanagement of opioids.
- Helped product manufacturer successfully resolve complex case involving explosion of 8,000 gallon propane tanker.
- Defense verdict for subcontractor in which store employee alleged construction defect caused more than $1,000,000 in debilitating injuries.
- Defense verdict for homeowners and homeowners’ association sued by neighbor over an alleged obstructed view.
- Arbitration Award of $850,000 recovering fraud, misrepresentation, and breach of contract damages in failed implementation of enterprise software.
- $1,500,000 verdict in favor of homeowner, singled out by industry as national test case for use and installation of barrier exterior insulation and finish system (EIFS), synthetic stucco, which caused home to dry rot to point of collapse. Successfully pursued product liability, misrepresentation and Consumer Protection Act claims and recovered $750,000 in attorneys’ fees, costs, and interest for the discovery abuses. Mayer v. Sto Industries, Inc., 156 Wn.2d 677 (2006).
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D., 1993
- Whitworth College, Spokane, 1988
- Student Body President
Admitted to Practice
- Washington State
- United States District Court - Western District of Washington and Eastern District of Washington
- Fain Anderson VanDerhoef Rosendahl O’Halloran Spillane, Principal/Owner 2016 - Present
- Forsberg & Umlauf, P.S., Shareholder 2004 – 2016
- Forsberg & Umlauf, P.S., Of Counsel, 2003 – 2004
- Gordon, Thomas, Honeywell, Malanca Peterson & Daheim, LLP, Partner 1997 – 2003
- Gordon, Thomas, Honeywell, Malanca Peterson & Daheim, LLP, Associate 1993 -1997
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Association, Past Committee Chair for South Sound
- Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association
- Propane Gas Defense Association