Matt N. Thomas
Matt Thomas focuses on complex civil litigation. Prior to joining FAVROS, Matt spent 8 years prosecuting fraud and became the primary prosecutor of insurance fraud for the State of Washington. He was a Judge Advocate in the U.S. Army both as a prosecutor and an advisor to Special Forces. Matt has successfully defended medical malpractice, design defect, and personal injury litigation and represented plaintiffs in class actions, civil RICO actions, qui tam actions, and personal injury claims. He has taken more than 30 trials to verdict on a wide-range of legal issues including fraud, sexual assault, and employment law. Matt regularly receives great outcomes for his clients no matter the forum or subject matter.
- Medical Professional Liability Defense
- Civil/Business Litigation
- Personal Injury Defense
- State v. Chase, 1 Wash.App.2d 799 (2017), review denied 190 Wn.2d 1024.
- Obtained dismissal of medical malpractice suit for an injury sustained during surgery.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit alleging overtreatment of psychiatric patient.
- Granted summary judgment on multiple design defect cases.
- Successfully prosecuted dozens of cases of benefits fraud.
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D. 2007
- Mary Washington College, B.S. 2004
Admitted to Practice
- Washington State
- United States District Court – Western District of Washington
- New York State
- United States District Court - Southern District of New York
- United States District Court - Eastern District of New York
- Fain Anderson VanDerhoef Rosendahl O’Halloran Spillane, PLLC – Associate, 2020 – Present
- Washington State Attorney General’s Office 2015-2020
- U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps, 2008-2014
- DeHaan Busse LLP, 2007-2008
Publications & Presentations
- Legislative Testimony on Behalf of the Attorney General, 2018, 2019, 2020 State Legislative Sessions
- Instructor: “Going Paperless,” January 2019 Attorney General’s Office Trial Technology Conference
- Presenter: “Prosecuting Fraud,” 2016 National Fraud Director’s Conference
- Presenter: “Insurance Fraud Autopsies,” 2016 Puget Sound Special Investigators
- Author/Presenter: “Sovereign Terrorists? Applying the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act to Cases of International Terrorism,” The New York Litigator, Fall 2007
- Veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan