Monica L. Cadagan
Monica’s practice focuses on appellate litigation in both state and federal courts. As a member of FAVROS’ appellate team, Monica has drafted numerous appellate briefs, motions, and petitions, and regularly counsels clients and other lawyers through the appellate process. Monica is also a member of FAVROS’ trial litigation team.
Before joining FAVROS, Monica clerked for the Honorable Laurel Siddoway at the Washington State Court of Appeals, Division Three, where she worked on more than 60 appellate decisions. Monica uses her extensive experience and unique insight into the appellate court system to shape both her appellate and trial litigation practices.
- Civil Appeals
- Medical Professional Liability
- Commercial Litigation
Representative Appellate Cases
- Appellate court affirmed summary judgment dismissal of suit against hospital client finding that plaintiff/appellant could not establish a violation of Washington’s Involuntary Treatment Act. Hood v. Cty. Of King, 743 Fed. Appx. 79 (9th Cir.).
- Successfully opposed discretionary review of a summary judgment order dismissing a city entity from suit.
- Successfully opposed discretionary review of a summary judgment order dismissing medical malpractice claims against a hospital defendant.
- Successfully opposed discretionary review of an order denying summary judgment of client’s affirmative defenses and counterclaims.
- Drafted brief and argued before a three-judge panel that city was entitled to statutory immunity.
- Drafted brief arguing that the trial court correctly interpreted the child relocation act when it denied relocation and modified parenting plan.
Representative Trial Court Cases
- Lead counsel in seven-day medical malpractice trial where the jury returned a unanimous defense verdict finding the family practice physician did not violate the standard of care.
- Summary judgment dismissal of claims against physician client based on statute of limitations and discovery rule.
- Dismissal of medical malpractice, negligent infliction of emotional distress, and outrage claims based on nurse’s sexual misconduct
- 2018 WSSHA Medical Malpractice update
- 2018 WHRCMS Medical Malpractice update
- 2015 Legal Writing for Success in Appellate Courts, Gonzaga University School of Law
- Gonzaga University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2014 (Associate Editor of Gonzaga Law Review)
- University of Washington, B.S., Biology, 2009
Admitted to Practice:
- Washington State
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Western District of Washington
- Law Clerk to Honorable Laurel H. Siddoway, Washington State Court of Appeals, Division Three 2014 – 2016
- Fain Anderson VanDerhoef Rosendahl O’Halloran Spillane, PLLC, Associate, 2017 – Present
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Amicus Curiae committee
- Washington State Bar Association