Michele C. Atkins
Michele’s practice focuses on defense of complex litigation, including claims of medical and other professional liability. She has represented a wide variety of healthcare providers and has tried their cases before civil juries and professional disciplinary boards.
- Medical Professional Liability Defense
- Licensing and Disciplinary Actions
- General Civil Litigation
- Defense verdict for an interventional radiologist where plaintiffs alleged he was negligent and caused the death of a patient by failing to perform a blood patch at or near the level of a spinal epidural leak caused during a bilateral breast reduction surgery.
- Unanimous defense verdict for two retina specialists where Plaintiffs alleged a failure to diagnose endophthalmitis (eye infection) that led to the patient’s blindness and loss of that eye
- Unanimous defense verdict in wrongful death lawsuit where emergency medicine provider was alleged to have been negligent for failing to diagnose a pulmonary embolism.
- Unanimous defense verdict for emergency medicine provider alleged to have been negligent in the evaluation of a patient who suffered subarachnoid hemorrhage after presenting to the emergency department.
- Defense verdict in a wrongful death lawsuit alleging premature discharge resulting in death two days later
- Defense verdict for large hospital in medical malpractice lawsuit where the allegation was that hospital staff caused median nerve injury leading to permanent disability.
- Defense verdict for two trauma surgeons in medical malpractice lawsuit where it was alleged that the surgeons failed to identify a peroneal tendon injury leading to permanent disability.
- Defense verdict for Public Hospital District in medical malpractice lawsuit where plaintiff/patient suffered traumatic brain injury.
- Defense verdict for family practice physician in medical malpractice lawsuit where allegation was delayed diagnosis of colon cancer.
- Multiple successful professional disciplinary board trials where allegations were of sexual and other unprofessional misconduct.
- Multiple criminal trials.
- University of San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, J.D., 1999
- University College of London, England, Completed program in international law, Summer, 1997
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, California, B.S., Social Science, 1995
Admitted to Practice
- Washington State
- California State
- United States District Court Western and Eastern District of Washington, Northern District of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Fain Anderson VanDerhoef Rosendahl O’Halloran Spillane, PLLC, Principal / Owner, 2015 – Present
- Fain Anderson & VanDerhoef, PLLC, Member, 2009 – 2015
- Fain Anderson & VanDerhoef, PLLC, Associate, 2002 – 2009
- McIntyre & Barns, Associate, 2002
- San Francisco Public Defenders Office, 1999 - 2001
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Health Law Section
- California State Bar Association
- Washington Healthcare Risk Management Society
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers Association
Publications & Presentations
In addition to being asked to be a presenter on a wide-variety of topics in the health care arena, in her “first life” as a criminal defense attorney in San Francisco, Michele was one of four featured attorneys in the PBS documentary, “Presumed Guilty”
Honors & Awards
Named a “Rising Star” by Washington Super Lawyers on five occasions