Todd W. Reichert
Todd is an experienced litigator. Todd represents a variety of professionals, commercial entities, hospitals and healthcare providers, including physicians, nursing staff, oral surgeons and dentists. Todd’s practice is focused on civil defense litigation including medical malpractice, personal injury, products liability, employment, class action, and federal civil rights claims. Todd is also well versed in issues pertaining to behavioral health and related law.
- Medical Professional Liability Defense
- Products Liability
- Federal Civil Rights Litigation
- Civil/Business Litigation
- Behavioral Health
- Class Action Defense
- Defense verdict in medical malpractice case where plaintiff alleged, among other things, permanent injury as a result of a compartment syndrome that developed in the Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit after undergoing triple-bypass cardiac surgery.
- Unanimous defense verdict in medical malpractice case where plaintiff alleged client orthopedic surgeon was negligent in performing total hip replacement surgery and related post-operative care.
- Defense verdict for hospital regarding alleged failure of emergency department physician to diagnose a blood clot in the emergency department.
- Defense verdict for hospital regarding cardiac anesthesiologist's decision to disconnect temporary pacemaker after heart surgery.
- Defense verdict for hospital regarding claim that neurotologist negligently drilled into brain and injured an artery.
- Defense verdict in a medical negligence case where plaintiff alleged that Hospital failed to implement proper inpatient fall prevention interventions or follow its own fall prevention policy, causing plaintiff an alleged brain injury.
- Defense verdict in a wrongful death case where plaintiff alleged two emergency physicians failed to properly intubate patient and allegedly caused anoxic injury and plaintiff’s death.
- Favorable jury trial result in wrongful death case where plaintiff alleged orthopedic surgeon failed to properly provide patient with chemical prophylaxis after knee surgery and alleged failure caused pulmonary embolism and plaintiff’s death.
- Summary judgment dismissal of class action lawsuit against hospital regarding alleged improper billing practices.
- Lead counsel on many civil private trials and arbitrations.
- Summary Judgment dismissal of claims against provider and awarded $10,000 in statutory damages (and attorneys’ fees of approximately $20,000) on basis of Anti-SLAPP statute.
- Summary Judgment dismissal of claims in multiple Section 1983 Civil Rights claims against physicians and hospitals in Federal District Court.
- Summary Judgment dismissal of claims against orthopedic surgeon who used a pain pump alleged to have caused damages to patient.
- Washington Supreme Court Clerk assisted in the preparing of opinions in the following cases, among others:
· Wright v. Jeckle, 158 Wn.2d 375 (2006) (majority, regarding healthcare related anti-kickback statute);
· Alejandre v. Bull, 159 Wn.2d 674 (2007) (concurrence, scope of economic loss rule);
· Cummins v. Lewis County, 156 Wn.2d 844 (2006) (concurrence, scope of public duty doctrine);
· Supervalu v. Department of Labor and Industries, 158 Wn.2d 422 (2006) (majority, scope of general duty clause as it relates to state ergonomic regulations);
· Harvey v. County of Snohomish, 157 Wn.2d 33 (2006) (majority, public duty doctrine barred plaintiff's claims against County arising out of 9-1-1 emergency dispatch call).
- Lead counsel on many criminal jury trials.
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D., 2004, cum laude
- University of Washington, B.A. (Political Science), 2001, with honors
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
- United States Supreme Court, Ninth Circuit, Western District of Washington
- Washington State Bar
- Oregon State Bar
- Fain Anderson VanDerhoef Rosendahl O’Halloran Spillane, PLLC (FAVROS), Principal, 2015 - Present
- Approximately 9 years of civil litigation experience prior to FAVROS, most recently at Williams Kastner & Gibbs, PLLC
- Washington State Supreme Court, Law Clerk for Justice Tom Chambers, August 2005 – July 2006
- King County Prosecutor's Office, Criminal Deputy Prosecuting Attorney and/or Rule 9, 2002 -2005
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers
- Washington Healthcare Risk Management Society
- American Health Lawyers Association
HONORS & AWARDS
- Selected as a “Rising Star” in 2013 – 2019 by Washington Super Lawyers
- Selected as a “Super Lawyer” 2020, 2021 by Washington Super Lawyers
- Pilgrim Lutheran Church, member
- WSBA Judicial Recommendation Committee, member, 2011 - 2014